In this Homestead Garden Tour for February, I look at gardening we’ve been doing in the winter months. What to Sow in Febraury https://youtu.be/tDRRJsreLvk . How to order GROUNDED
For UK delivery you can order a signed copy direct from us at https://bytherfarm.com/books (Immediate posting available while stocks last)
For unsigned copies head to Permanent Publications, https://bit.ly/3rWOrLy, your regular bookseller or Amazon https://amzn.to/3dSE9Gn.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

For USA, order via Chelsea Green Publishing https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/grounded or Amazon.com https://amzn.to/3rNTWfo

For everywhere else, order via our publishers, Permanent Publications, from a local or online store or via Amazon.

Subscribe to our newsletter here https://bit.ly/2qbsdY5

This video looks at gardening in winter and was filmed 15th February 2021.

About Us.
Byther Farm is a small organic homestead, designed and managed using permaculture practices. We aim for self-sufficiency in fruit and vegetables for increased self reliance and better resilience to the modern world. I recognise that we are unlikely to be truly self sufficient, but do the best we can. I share our home with my loving husband, Mr J and our cat, Monty.
We are a fifty-something couple who live on a smallholding in Monmouthshire, Wales. We are going green and creating a gentler, cleaner and more healthy life for our family.
There is a large organic kitchen garden with no dig gardening raised beds and young food forest in which to grown our fruit and vegetables.
We keep chickens and Aylesbury ducks.

Music
‘Breathe’ by Kafkadiva. www.kafkadiva.com
Other music by www.EpidemicSound.com

Comments

Nancy Tabor says:

Have you tried growing turnip, rutabagas, or beets same method as potatoes??

Margaret Carter says:

We’ve had dry weather this last week so have managed to get half the allotment prepped for planting. It made me feel very good after a winter of lockdown. Looking forward to following you and your book over the coming season. Thank you!

Zoe Daniel says:

Liz, I've just had my copy of your book delivered from Amazon. It looks amazing. Well done.

In Harmony Food Revolution says:

Looking great there! How exciting to be planning for spring, we're a bit behind and have just ordered our seeds today so it should be time to start sowing by the time they arrive!

Marie-Therese Hayes says:

Just got notice my book is coming soon. Cant wait

The Clumsy Prepper says:

I finished reading the book Liz and I loved it so much. The transformation of your garden, and your health, is inspiring ❤

Daya Feickert says:

I’ve fallen in love with your garden. Your talk on what drew you to gardening on Huw Richards deeply moved me, I too have gone to the garden as my health turned. You are an inspiration. Love love love the beautiful garden and self sufficient lifestyle

Roy Harris says:

Did you clear the brambles by cutting them back to ground level and laying weed suppressant membrane over the ground or did you try and remove the roots first? I have HUGE areas of brambles and am trying to decide the best approach to remove them.

Gudrun Jabold says:

Your book arrived last week. I am so please! Love all the photos! Look forward to read all of it .

Kerry L says:

Nice to get outside, Liz. Still very soggy here – even though it drains fast!

isabelle chabre says:

Could you please go into detail about how you got rid of the brambles? I've got a very large part of my property infested with them and I just don't know what to do to get rid of them. I would love to clear that area in order to grow some food there in a few years but it seems impossible right now…

It’s just Me says:

I haven’t stopped even on cold days. I prefer them as the ground is less mucky. I have spent the last few weeks demolishing an old, damp shed. I attacked it with a very large sledgehammer. The floor and three sides are now fencing that I later erected. The fourth wall was beyond reuse. Not bad for an old lady in her mid sixties. Next winter task is building a breeze block path with the blocks that supported the shed flooring. Nothing goes to waste here.

Auf Tour im Garten // Garden Tour says:

You've been really busy during the winter. The weeds are also waiting for me. But I still can lean back and plan what to sow until the snow is gone. At least l had the chance to make a video in the snowstorm.

Linda Penney says:

Lovely update Liz

Izzy Wizzy says:

Thankyou for the winter tour, it was interesting and helpful to see the bare bones of the structure of your garden to help me visualize how it is set out during the summer abundance. I managed to lift a huge sheet of plastic from the edge of my allotment and cover the space with wood chippings yesterday. I am trying to get rid of the plastic sheeting I inherited when I took over the plot…