Subscriber rescue! Replanting sweet potatoes in Ruth stout garden. Community gardens are great resources to learn and share. Planting out some melons & I need the secret to growing big juicy melons!

Farmers Almanac (Moon Planting): https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar
____________________________

That 1870’s Homestead
P.O. Box 179
Newport, MI 48166
____________________________

Affiliate Links & Discount Codes:

Everything in our AMAZON shop, is something we own and use here on our homestead. Prices are exactly the same as it would be without the link, but we get a small kick-back from Amazon to help support our channel. No coupon code required, just use this link:

OLIGHT Flashlights
Get 10% Off non-sale items by using coupon code: shop1870

Green Stalk Vertical Garden Planters
Get $10 Off your order, when you purchase a vertical planter. Use coupon code: shop1870
____________________________

Our Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/that_1870s_homestead/
Our Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/1870sHomestead/

Comments

mona simmonds says:

Your garden is beautiful!!!

Roberts says:

Do you not get deer in your garden?

Lee Smith says:

you have a very beautiful garden

Missy Bowen says:

It’s so disheartening when a late frost hits. I’m in Indiana and a late frost took all my apples and paw paws.

Debbie Bell says:

We grew Georgia Rattlesnake melon last year and it did great, it just takes a long time. I grew mine in sandy loamy soil amended with horse manure compost and they did really well. (I was pleasantly surprised). I'm in Michigan zone 5.

robin cook says:

what is borege

Patricia Koester says:

I am just so bummed, I planted my GreenStalk and I have Gnats galore, I put Neem oil on them but to no avail- Help somebody?
Grandma Patricia

Linh-Dan Nguyen says:

uuuu can't wait to see your watermelon grows. It's my favorite fruit in the summer <3 <3 <3 Love you, momma.

Pamela Collins Jester says:

The watermelons love for at least one of the vines to grow upwards. Keep moist. I bet that one by the fence and tomatoes does well.

Andrea Burgard says:

Check out Luke's video from MI Gardner. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Za1xwlc74
He had trouble growing cantaloupe, but he found a solution .

Catra Campolieto says:

I'm so jealous….I want to come visit Todd and you. AND see your garden. So very happy someone shared their sweet potatoes slips with you. And another person shared melon plants.

Jen Leigh says:

Watermelon don't like their feet wet. Here in KY I had to plant them in hills on high ground before I got great watermelons. They were originally from Africa so you have to try to mimic that climate.

tessie652001 says:

You need to kick some of your rain to me over by Fremont Michigan . We are sooo dry here

Stacy McClain says:

Rachel, what do you do with borage, eat it, drink it, medicinal purposes, etc.?

Honey Bee says:

Always love time in your garden!! ~~Kristi

ArmindaHeart says:

I live in the sunny, dry, and hot California valley and always have success with melons – I think melons prefer this climate best but you can grow them mostly anywhere depending on the variety. I think full sun and plenty of compost and/or mulch is the key to success. My mom has trouble with growing the larger melons – she lives at a higher elevation with a shorter growing window. She has had success with smaller varieties, planting those in full sun. Melons plants are hungry and thirsty and have pretty shallow roots, so add plenty of compost in the beginning and water every 3-5 days (with heavy mulch). When I visit farms out here, melons are grown out in fields with full sun, no mulch. The farmers probably water the soil like crazy. I have planted melon plants in spots that eventually get shade from other maturing plants and they end up not doing very well at all. So make sure no plants will eventually shade out your melon plants. Full sun, all the time! ☀️